Gucci is a name that is synonymous with quality, elegance, and luxury. These watches are built to last and look great anytime, anywhere, and are among the most popular of all high end luxury watches. But when the battery goes, there may be the temptation to go about changing the battery on your own. Though this is often discouraged if you set on trying to figure out how to change a Gucci watch battery yourself, you need to make sure you have the tools needed for the job.
At the very minimum you will need the following tools:
This method should work on the following Gucci watch models:
Gucci I-Gucci 114, Gucci G Timeless, Gucci 1921, Gucci G-Frame, Gucci U-Play, Gucci Bamboo, Gucci Interlocking G, Gucci 112, Gucci 101G, Gucci I-Gucci Sport XXL, Gucci Coupe, Gucci Latin Grammy I-Gucci, Gucci Marina, Gucci 125, Gucci G, Gucci Classic Sport, Gucci Guccissima, Gucci Bamboo
1) Make sure the battery you have chosen is the right one for your Guuci watch, and resist any temptation to use a cheaper off brand battery in your watch, we recommend Energizer as they have a lower probability of leaking harmful acid onto the movement.
2) There are more than a dozen battery operating Gucci watches. Make sure you know your watch type as this will impact the type of battery you need as well as how you will go about accessing the battery in the watch itself. Watch battery replacement is no small task and you must ensure that you are up for the challenge as it comes with risk resulting in hundreds of $ in repair.
3) Depending on the model a Gucci case-back can be opened by prying open a snapon case-back with a watchmaking knife, unscrewing screws holding the case-back secured to the case, opening up the case-back with a pliers (we DO NOT encourage this method as it might cause irreversible damage to the case-back or case).
4) The gasket ring will need to be carefully removed and re-lubricated using silicone grease; if it is damaged it will need to be replaced before the back of the watch can be secured.
5) Once you have access to it, carefully remove the old dead battery from the watch using a screwdriver. Take care not to damage the surrounding areas specifically the circuit board. Some Gucci watch batteries are held in place with a screwed-on clasp or fastener so that has to be unscrewed or removed. Before you take out the battery, take a moment to look at how the battery is positioned so you can install the new one in correctly. DO NOT grab the battery with your fingers as you will short out the battery, use plastic tweezers instead. Take not that in some digital Gucci watches the circuit must be restarted by touching two terminals with a metal tweezers otherwise it won’t work.
6) Once you have installed the new battery, carefully put the case-back of the watch and secure it. This can be challenge at times because the gasket seal must be perfectly aligned and the seal needs to be tight when the case-back is secured otherwise the watch won't be water resistant.
A word of caution about attempting to replace a battery in your Gucci watch.
You should know that without proper tools and skills, the watch can be severely damaged beyond repair. This is not something that should be taken on lightly because there are many things that can go wrong during the installation process including:
• Shorting out the battery circuit due to improper installation.
• Breaking or damaging the fragile movement components.
• Loosing and shifting of the intricate inner components.
• Installation of the wrong battery that can damage the electronic components.
• Not securing the back casing properly and allowing dust and moisture to enter.
• Stripping threads during the closing process – making it impossible to seal again.
• Scratching the case, case-back, or the inner components.
• Not sealing the watch properly or damaging the edges so a good seal is impossible.
Without proper equipment it's impossible to tell it the watch will be water resistant after performing a battery change at home so it is best left in the hands of the experts!